Tuesday, September 20, 2005

 

No Batteries Needed



This may sound strange to some, but I am not a huge food fanatic. Yes, I like food but it's not something that I usually gush over. I've had my few "slap yo mama" meals, but they are few and far between. That being said, I've also been working in the food service industry for a little over 4 years and my primary responsibility has always been dessert. In some ways, this has been a blessing. After my best friend and I decided that we really did need to send the ENTIRE 1st Ranger battalion some sweets while they were deployed in Afghanistan, I haven't wanted to see or smell a chocolate chip cookie. [In case you don't know, it was over 200 cookies and about 15 loaves of banana bread].

With that being said, I've since enjoyed, sometimes with great pleasure, watching other people eat my sweet creations. Then Cheryl, my new boss and friend, introduced me to her chocolate cupcake with chocolate italian buttercream icing. I am, since birth, a chocoholic, but am not usually a huge fan of cake. I'll have the obligatory birthday slice and eat some if I don't have an alternative, but for some reason or another don't prefer cake. The italian buttercream, which I get to make on an almost daily basis, takes about 3 hours from start to finish. By most personal standards, this is enough involvement for me to ignore it as a potential snack. However, it is the most luxurious icing I've EVER HAD.

Here begins the chocolate part: I had invited Cheryl and Griff over for a barbecue dinner, in their box of goodies, there were the chocolate-chocolate buttercream cupcakes. I had been working at the bakery for over a month and still had not managed to try everything. Yes, I know I should have jumped at the opportunity, but many years of making desserts nonstop will leave you numb to them. I let the cupcakes come to room temperature, as suggested, and took my first bite. It was so moist and rich, it literally melted in my mouth. I tried to hold it there, but it was gone in what seemed like an instant. I took another bite, heavenly could describe it but that would be an understatement. I just stood there in awe not knowing that anything could be this good. That simple cupcake held my attention for a very long time. I was amazed that it could keep getting better with each bite. The smooth, delicate texture soothed my raging need for chocolate without being overwhelming. I could not have possibly eaten it any slower but it was awakening taste buds that I never knew existed. After about 5 minutes I finished the cupcake and stood there, trying to recreate with all of my senses that cupcake. It's amazing, something so small, simple, and delicate could possibly be the best thing I've ever tasted in my entire life.

Comments:
SOOOO coool! How much fun. I can't wait to read more! Thanks for that amazing compliment too by the way.
 
So far so cool. can't wait to see and read
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?