Saturday, September 24, 2005

 

Good Morning!


Saturday mornings...

As far as I can remember, Saturday mornings have always been filled with pancakes, eggs and sausage. When I was a child Granny lived with us and made us breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday, but pancakes were always the Saturday morning routine. Occasionally she'd make donuts, but never on a Saturday.

Unfortunately, Granny didn't live with us forever and she moved back to Kentucky to be closer to her friends that were still living. There ended our Saturday morning routine. Fortunately, I didn't quite remember how to make pancakes from when I was 2 years old. My mother, bless her heart, was a terrible cook and my dad could cook, but not pancakes. Our Saturday breakfast had dwindled down to just sausage and eggs and sometimes bacon. Eventually Saturday morning became another Saturday morning with nothing to fill it like Granny's pancakes. (Yes, I'm being a little over-dramatic but breakfast is important)

You can imagine my surprise when a co-worker suggested making French Toast with Griff's bread. Why hadn't I thought of that? Who knew that I would be making the new "Granny's pancakes". Saturday mornings were back!!! This french toast is so good, you don't need butter, syrup or powdered sugar, but you can add it if you like.

Saturday Morning French Toast:
9- 1 1/2 inch slices of fresh baguette bread (use the freshest you can possibly find, preferably from Back in the Day Bakery, none of that store bought bag stuff, please)
3 eggs
1/2 cup cream (you can substitute milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whisk eggs, cream and vanilla until blended. Soak bread slices in mixture for approx 3 minutes. Brown on non-stick griddle on both sides. Place slices on parchment lined baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes, slices should puff slightly in the center.

Serve hot.

** This recipe serves 3 people.

Comments:
We followed your advice and started a new tradition.
Sunday morning we followed your recipe and our tummy's were happy.
 
Thanks for the great story. It has inspired me to start my own Saturday traditon.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?